Sunday, October 6, 2013

Drew Young Nostalgia


       I've always wanted to make art work that addresses really potent issues that arise in life and could happen in someone's life 500 years from now. I use symbolism to convey this, Drew Young artwork seems to also convey this in a very indirect but on the dot way, in other words- there's no mistaking the subject matter of his painting is deep and very meaningful or all consuming.   
Photo credit Thinkspace Gallery
           I love how complex it is. Complexity is one of my favorite characteristics in artwork. He's one artist that I would love to trade work with, God willing. 
    His work makes me think of songs, the ones that you put on repeat because it pertains to what you're going through; then years later that song comes on the radio and you're delivered a heavy dose of nostalgia. That's what his work makes me think of- when I used to be really depressed, many years ago. Sometimes when  so much time has gone by, the way my life used to be in the past seems very foreign. Maybe that's just weird. I'm weird so you probably don't know what I'm talking about. Young's work makes me feel nostalgia the way songs do. They remind me of when I was depressed. Depression can be like a train of thought going down an undisciplined path. The multiple images of people is reminiscent of thought pattens.  The pallet he's using also evokes melancholy. And the fact that most of the subjects are alone, usually when you're the most depressed you're alone. I think that's one of the things I love most about Drew Young's work- it evokes a feeling of nostalgia that I've only experienced with music, or songs rather.
      In a interview there's b roll of him having anxiety while saying under his breath "that made me seem like a cocky dick." I think you have the right to be cocky Drew.
Photo credit Thinkspace Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment