Thursday, October 17, 2013

Joram Roukes

Photo credit Thinkspace Gallery

      Joram Roukes is a Dutch artist living in Groningen, Netherlands. His signature style is collage like with multiple styles meshed in a single work. I've read that he references the competitiveness in everyday life by having his subjects wear sports jerseys and his characters are inspired by inner city life.
    Joram is pretty young, only 30, his CV isn't a mile long and it isn't filed with accolades, he's just starting out his career, but when I look at his work I find myself having a large amount of respect for him.  I mean I look at Baldessari and have a lot of respect for how witty some of his artwork is or I have a lot of respect for John Cage's work because it's really innovative. But honestly the more I look at Joram Roukes' work the more I end up having the same amount of respect for him as I do for other art world titians. His work is just brilliant. I like that he named a show after a Smashing Pumkins album "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness." He looks like a depressed guy.  
Photo credit Thinkspace Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment