Monday, November 11, 2013

Perform Chinatown 2013


          Perform Chinatown 2013 was amazing. I went to Perform Chinatown 2012 and there was five times as many people at Perform Chinatown 2013 as there was in 2012. It felt so vibrant and anyone who knows me well enough knows I'm a huge fan of Chung King Road. If you look on artslant.com and see more than one opening (perfect combination is Charlie James Gallery, Coagula Curatorial and Jancar Gallery) I highly recommend attending. They have quarterlies four times a year that are completely vibrant and most of the art galleries in the alley have openings that night. Chunk King Road is so full of charm, beauty and culture. It's the perfect combination of dozens of chinese lanterns, arching graceful pagodas and world class contemporary art. 
         A lot of these performances were very clever and sharp-witted, looking at them over and over again I thought to myself that it's sad so many people are automatically closed off to high art or performance art, I think there are a lot of people who would watch these performances and appreciate the message and themes they're exploring. 
           Vela Phelan @ 0:40 - Whenever artists address subject matter within our culture I always like it more. Some haters have pointed out that making art can be such a self absorbed thing to do with your life. I think the people who say that don't have the first clue about how much artists sacrifice to be prolific and established and not to mention all the under appreciation that comes with it. Taking a traumatic international event like the financial crisis of the Great Recession and acting out the coping mechanisms arising from the vulnerability of the power of cooperations and the realization of how disposable we are compared to any high powered CEO made for a amazing performance piece. It's especially important because there are so many guys out there who aren't inclined to verbalize the overwhelming anxiety experienced when they were surviving the great recession. Even if they do have the personality to articulate it a lot of men have too much pride to open up to others. That's why I really appreciate this performance piece. 
          Mideo Cruz & Racquel De Loyola @ 4:50 - I loved this one too, I think one of the best things you can do with art is use it as a vehicle to change someone's perspective of a cultural norm. I found it really intelligent, I had a huge smile the whole time I was filming it. It's extremely endearing when performance artists mocks power and dominance, if done right it makes for the best performance art. It reminded me of The Yes Men's Management Leisure Suit, if you write that in a Youtube search it will be 2:41 minutes of your time spent wisely. 
       Vasan Sitthiket @ 6:05 - Yes that's me laughing in the background. I just thought this performance was so fun and at the same time the subject he was tackling was very significant. 

         Well yes Perform Chinatown in late July, and it's November. I wanted to get all the artists I liked from Thinkspace up since I posted the blog about Thinkspace. 
It
is 
freaking
hard 
to 
wooooork 
on 
a documentary 
when you have 
three jobs. 
         I now only have two jobs but in October had three.  I was just talking to a guy in my building who's doing a documentary and we were both venting, he's just saying it's so common for it to take five years. I now have someone who is willing to help with the editing so I should be faster with things. I'm actually really excited that I have someone who will be my co-producer and assistant editor. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment