Monday, August 31, 2015

Painting Flesh Tones With Proper Lighting

           As a working artist there are challenges that are a continual problem. Most of my artwork is figurative (they have people in the work). The main problem that causes is I can only paint flesh tones during day light hours. If I paint flesh tones at night they don't look natural and always come out too cold. It's a bit easier during the summer with the longer days, but is still very challenging. I had to get around it because of deadlines for art shows, so I started doing some internet research. I ended up calling a lamp outlet and they suggested asking a photographer. Then I called Blick's art store to see if they had any suggestions. They did but it was an extremely expensive suggestion. It really is sad how greed and creative marketing rears it's ugly head. They carry this product called the Daylight Easel Lamp. I went in to Blick's and it was by no means a small store. I called other stores in the area and they all had those lamps for about $120. Screw that. So I bought a replacement bulb for $20 and went to target to get a lamp for it for another $20. 

          After a day I hear back from my photographer friend and he tells me about these other bulbs you can buy at Target that work really well. They're GE Reveal bulbs, the 2 packs sell for $5-$7. Shit.
Picture of the special bulbs I needed in really bad lighting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment